Thank you for joining me!

Welcome to the Happy Grappler. The key to a consistent practice is joy. As an aging athlete, I continue to seek out methods that help to keep a smile on my face, relatively fit and pain free. This is my mental graffiti. Enjoy!

Friday, November 18, 2011

Training Day: Thursday

I am able to train typically 3 days a week. Usually on Tuesdays and Thursdays for 2 to 3 hours at a pop and then we usually have instructor training and I teach a class on Friday nights (Adult Gi all level).

Today's open mat consisted of myself, the newly christened faixa preta Bill and Sabrina going rounds in sparring. I find myself in more positions with the new black belt that I have never been before in my life. It usually happens once or twice each session. Tonight was no different, we ended up in what I can only describe as reverse inverted DLR half x-guard. I know its easy to say... Tonight made very clear that if I am to progress on to purple in the next few years, I must and have to focus on my transitions from one movement to the next. I also find that I am able to secure positions at about 97%, but I am leaving out small details that would guarantee at least a secure position or even a submission. I finally feel like I am beginning to understand having a game plan and rudimentarily executing it, including contingencies for bumps along the way. The cool thing about BJJ is that it always progresses and continues to develop. Positions that we would have never considered before are now standard issue. But I think I am able to grasp some of them because as a beginner I focused only on the basics. Must have the foundation to crawl before we can stand, must be able to stand before we can walk...

Professor's class was simply... mind blowing. We covered a Judo combination of Ko-uchi-gari to O-uchi-gari. 2 back escapes, a way to amplify the guillotine and this form of guard and a sweep that I don't even know what to call. Since there were only 3 of us in class tonight, it turned into a semi-private with Professor and I can't wait to try some of the things we worked on tonight.

Anyway, a patient at the hospital threw a chair against a wall, ended up triggering a sprinkler system that eventually flooded the top 3 floors of the hospital so we are in damage control mode right now, which usually happens to me when I grapple with the folks in my Academy.

Back to the grind...

Keeping it Zen



I hope all is well with you and you are training happy.

Oss.

No comments:

Post a Comment