Thank you for joining me!

Welcome to the Happy Grappler. The key to a consistent practice is joy. As an aging athlete, I continue to seek out methods that help to keep a smile on my face, relatively fit and pain free. This is my mental graffiti. Enjoy!

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Random Musings...

Greetings Tribe and time for another update.

Since my back has been injured, I have been doing a ton of core specific training and mobility work. Last night I was able to spar with almost full intensity and both of them went well. I am still dealing with pain, but not the almost black out from the intensity type. I have logged in numerous visits with my chiro and she is the magic manna. If you are ever in Carlinville, Illinois and need put together, Dr. Kelly Calloway is the shiz.

Work has been very, very busy. After 21 years in the field of social work/psychotherapy, I finally feel like I am begiining to know what I am doing. Lots of desperate people need a lot of help. I find that the lessons of jiujitsu really apply to my work. Remain calm and don't panic. Find a position of survival and wait for an opportunity to escape and improve position. Submissions are rare, but escapes are golden. There is ALWAYS an opportunity to improve position. It is almost always better when you receive the help of your team, but when it comes down to brass tacks on the mat, it's up to you.

I have been really working my basics as of late and have some observations.

1. When on the bottom, I must always close my guard.
2. When on top, I must never let them close guard.
3. Half-guard either top or bottom is only a transition position for me.
4. Maintaining the mount is top priority, once that is maintainied, submissions come more quickly.
5. Submissions are either about closing the airway or bloodway or hyperextending the joint, don't overcomplicate them.

Have a great day!

Oss.

No comments:

Post a Comment