Thank you for joining me!

Welcome to the Happy Grappler. The key to a consistent practice is joy. As an aging athlete, I continue to seek out methods that help to keep a smile on my face, relatively fit and pain free. This is my mental graffiti. Enjoy!

Monday, October 22, 2012

Royce Gracie



Royce Gracie.

Royce F'n Gracie!

The man who broke Jason Delucia's arm in UFC 2.

The man who broke Kimo Leopoldo's spirit in UFC 3.

The man who was the reason why many of us started jiujitsu in the first place.

Professor Bill and I hopped in the truck on a beautiful and unseasonably warm Sunday and zipped on over to Gracie Barra Decatur for a Royce Gracie Seminar. This was my first time at Gracie Barra Decatur, but not at the building seeing as I trained Karate in the building in the early 80's (talk about coming full circle!). The gym is very nice and spacious and had around 40 attendees in all. I was mesmerized watching him interact with kids as he taught a seminar for them before our seminar. What struck me most was that there was no introduction, no formalities, no hype. He just walked to the center of the mat and started talking in a very gentle voice and started teaching the jiujitsu that his family was famous for. The material taught was all self defense based and had a logical progression based upon the opponents reaction. It was all no frills jiujitsu and showed what is meant by the phrase "efficiency of technique, economy of motion." It was probably one of the best experiences in my martial career. Royce brought one of his black belts, Jared Jessup, with him to the seminar and the guy was really nice and had solid teaching skills. He showed me a way of breaking the headlock grip while in technical mount that litreally negates all of the strength in the movement and makes the assailant release the grip instantly. He showed Bill a way to tighten the triangle by flexing the foot that cinches the constriction easily and effectively. The technical mount series he showed will remain in my arsenal and much to the disdain of my opponents! I wish this weren't a once in a lifetime opportunity, but it was and it shall remain in my mind an amazing experience.

I am forever changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment