Thank you for joining me!

Welcome to the Happy Grappler. The key to a consistent practice is joy. As an aging athlete, I continue to seek out methods that help to keep a smile on my face, relatively fit and pain free. This is my mental graffiti. Enjoy!

Thursday, February 23, 2012

I am old school.

Greetings tribe!

It is hard for me to believe at times that I have been training in the martial arts since I was 9. In May that will mean 35 years of various disciplines consistently. And while I have studied some contemporary disciplines, like muay thai and more importantly brazilian jiujitsu, in my heart I will always be old school. I started training Judo and Okinawan Karate and while surfing the net was struck by the amazing differences of these two videos. See if you can spot the difference.


and then this one:


Kinda amazing isn't it. How we can practice the same art, yet interpret it in very different ways. It is also very present in BJJ. But in my heart, I will always be old school.

Finally, speaking of striking... my wife got me Bas Rutten's mixed martial arts workout ON CD!!! I emphasize CD because I have been using the workout that  *ahem* I still have on cassette tape.

Talk about old school.

Anyways, I didn't come across this character until season 12 of the Ultimate Fighter  and found a youtube of his highlights. He doesn't look imposing, but he can merely flick his leg or his hand and people drop like stones. Enjoy.



Stay happy.

Oss.

1 comment:

  1. He may lack the power of Skarbowski, but it's tough to beat M-16 Somdet for entertainment.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvAEr23J7rg

    ReplyDelete