Thank you for joining me!

Welcome to the Happy Grappler. The key to a consistent practice is joy. As an aging athlete, I continue to seek out methods that help to keep a smile on my face, relatively fit and pain free. This is my mental graffiti. Enjoy!

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Flavio and a suprise

Last night at our Academy, we hosted a seminar with Flavio Almeida from GB America. This is the second time I have had a seminar with him and he has all of the attributes that I desire as a jiujitsulero (glacial pressure, roosterweight speed, Cyborg Abreu like flexibility and the balance of a yogi. He is densely muscled and is a great practitioner and instructor. He taught a series on passing the guard from the knees as a way to avoid the DLR guard and specifically the berimbolo attacks. His advice on passing from an angle and splitting the guard in half were brilliant. His advice that "tucked in elbows in jiujitsu are just like the hands up fighting stance in striking" was awesome. He then proceeded to show a series of guard passes that show so much pressure it felt like my hips were going to explode. The best part of the night was seeing 2 of our guys promoted to black belt and hearing what they had to say about the journey of Brazilian Jiujitsu. An unexpected part of the evening came when Professor also handed out some lower belt promotions and he said...

"Sci-issorrrrrrr."

And wrapped a brown belt around my waist.

Suprised.

Flattered.

Humbled.

Proud.

Since late 2010 when I moved away from Springfield and continued to train, I drive 45 minute to 1 hour 2 to 3 times per week to train for 2 to 3 hours at a session. My wife and I have made sacrifices so that I could continue to train. It is moments like this that teach you the value of those sacrifices and help you cherish the people in your life that help you achieve your goals. My wife, Professor Marcos, Professor SL and the crew at GBS help to demonstrate what real family and community is about. The road ahead is steep, but I am bleesed beyond all measure along the way.

Oss.

No comments:

Post a Comment