Thank you for joining me!

Welcome to the Happy Grappler. The key to a consistent practice is joy. As an aging athlete, I continue to seek out methods that help to keep a smile on my face, relatively fit and pain free. This is my mental graffiti. Enjoy!

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Geezers! I am become.

Greetings!

Today is a special day for me.

I am 45 today.

I am blessed beyond all measure. I have received a Nutribullet and my wife just informed me that I am receiving the Gracie Combatives DVD set! My kids got me an itunes gift card and I was able to train jiujitsu last night. I am healthy, strong and spirit filled. I have incredibly fulfilling relationships with everyone around me.

Which brings me to the topic of Geezers.

One of my training friends, Tom Furman, is a personal trainer in Florida and has been around the block more than once when it comes to combat. Kickboxing, jiujitsu, silat, etc. and one of his mottoes is to "Train for Life." Meaning that training should be a lifelong pursuit and we should measure our success more on long term goals, rather than immediate gratification. When I posted the Dan Inosanto video yesterday, Tom independently mentioned that Dan, Willem De Thouars and Harold Koning are all 76 and can move extremely well. Check them out and then we will talk a little more.




Dan Inosanto did not start training bjj until he was in his 60's.

This brings me to the subject of Renato Pacquet


Renato is 79 and still trains on the mats every day. As you can see, these guys certainly have limitations, but they are training all the time and move better than most people half their age. These men are independent "Blue Zones". What are the attributes that allow them to train and move so well at an advanced age? This is all something we should be training for!

Helio Gracie trained every day until he passed away peacefully at 95.

Steve Maxwell is a legend in the grappling and strength and conditioning world. He is 60 in these videos.



I think it is important for us who want to do this for the rest of  our lives to see how those who have made it so far do it, and to replicate those principles. Repeat what they do and avoid what they avoid.

Here are some of the commonalities so far: Lifelong martial artists; they maintain a healthy bodyweight for themselves (compared to no one); they all engage in ground based movements; they are all passionate and have diverse educational backgrounds; they strength train, but do not traditionally lift weights; they are all extremely mobile.


This is my new research project.

Geezer Training!

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment