Thank you for joining me!

Welcome to the Happy Grappler. The key to a consistent practice is joy. As an aging athlete, I continue to seek out methods that help to keep a smile on my face, relatively fit and pain free. This is my mental graffiti. Enjoy!

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Back from vacation report...


Greeting tribe!

I have just returned from a week of family vacation re-connecting with my wife's family during their annual family reunion in Southern Missouri. In a word it was... breathtaking. The weather was fantastic (except for the second day when we went to Silver Dollar City and it rained like it was going out of style!), the girls had a great time, it was wonderful to connect with family members I hadn't spoken to in a long time, and it was an excellent exercise in mindfulness. It was also a great break from bjj and exercise in general.

I attended bjj last night for the first time in a week and a half and rolled with his Imperial Suppleness for an hour of the hardest roll I have ever had. Constant transitions, relentless pressure, overwhelming speed. I was going to attend the next class after, but was whooped. So I called it and will incrementally add classes here and there.

My July challenge was intermittent fasting during the week and it was overall very successful. I will continue this practice. It really teaches you a lot about hunger cravings and what you can get by on. The month of August is all about balance. Balancing my time in bjj between standing and ground, passing, guard, mount and back. Balancing time between "keeping it real" and "keeping it playful." Incorporating more balance postures in my training, being more balanced in my strength and conditioning work (incorporating jump rope for cardio and a functional fitness routine), and more balanced in my diet (more water, less sweets and alcohol during the week). As my wife always says, "Balance is the key."

Well, that's about it for this update. Keep training hard and I will see you on the mat!

No comments:

Post a Comment