Thank you for joining me!

Welcome to the Happy Grappler. The key to a consistent practice is joy. As an aging athlete, I continue to seek out methods that help to keep a smile on my face, relatively fit and pain free. This is my mental graffiti. Enjoy!

Monday, May 21, 2012

The post I never wanted to write..

This post has been coming for a very long time but I never wanted to write it.

It started at the Avenger's. When my wife and I were at the movies for my birthday, we got to talking about finances and how things were tight. It wasn't until I started crunching some numbers that I cam upon a startling realization.

I work and live about one hour away from I train. I think most people aren't aware of this because I train so frequently (3x per week) and while my tuition at GBS is not pricey, I became aware that traveling to and from training was costing me around $500 a month extra.

My wife and I discussed me quitting bjj and even though it was something I didn't want to do, it was something I was willing to do.

Fortunately, it did not come to that.

However, by cutting one of the times I come to class, it will save me around $50 a pop or an extra $200 a month.

So one night after training, I had a conversation with Professor Marcos and told him that for the foreseeable future I would have to step out of the Instructor's program and stop teaching my Friday night class.

So my Friday night class that I have been teaching for a year, went on the chopping block.

I still have the luxury of training and doing it 2 nights a week when I can stay extra. But it grieves me to no end that I had to let go.

I said goodbye or moreso "see ya later" to my class this past Friday night and while I have said the words doesn't mean that I have processed the feelings or even dealt with the grief that comes with the loss.

When I started I had no idea of what I was doing and later it has become a part of me like my breath. I always strived to teach simple and effective jiujitsu and have at least something for everybody. I always focused on what I enjoyed: good warmups, Judo, effective stuff from each position and the chance to learn and grow.

Some of my closest bjj friends showed up last Friday night and it was a pleasure to have one more roll.

Although I can continue to train (THANK GOD) I will always miss what his imperial suppleness has come to call Dr. Scissor's Friday night BJJ/Judo Latin Dance Party.

I will be forever thankful for the time that I have had and hope that my absence is brief.

Oss.

No comments:

Post a Comment