Thank you for joining me!

Welcome to the Happy Grappler. The key to a consistent practice is joy. As an aging athlete, I continue to seek out methods that help to keep a smile on my face, relatively fit and pain free. This is my mental graffiti. Enjoy!

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Off topic

When I am not feverously scouring the internet for jiujitsu videos and dreaming about running my own BJJ gym, I am a psychotherapist in real life. Several years ago, I was introduced to mindfulness meditation and have had a regular practice for some time. One of the documentaries that really transformed my view of meditation was "The Dhamma Brothers" which portrays what happens when a vipassana program is introduced to a Maximum Security Alabama Prison. I have watched it many, many times and still can't watch parts without crying. The DVD is very hard to come by and I have had to rely on youtube, that being said I found a part of the documentary, but it had Malaysian subtitles. Then I found the whole thing as a part of "Super Soul Sunday" on the Oprah Winfrey Network. The first part is an interview she does with Thich Nhat Hahn and the rest of the program is the documentary. Powerful does not begin to describe it.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment