Thank you for joining me!

Welcome to the Happy Grappler. The key to a consistent practice is joy. As an aging athlete, I continue to seek out methods that help to keep a smile on my face, relatively fit and pain free. This is my mental graffiti. Enjoy!

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Happy September or Change is coming!

Greetings tribe!

The last time I wrote, I talked about enjoying the super mild temps and getting back to running. Well, it changed and got real damn hot. While I am planning a return to running, it just isn't in the cards right now. I have returned back to some mobility conditioning and core exercises. Of tremendous interest right now to me is the training offered by Dr. Eric Goodman called Foundation. He has some really great ideas for challenging the posterior and anterior chain, both separately and simultaneously. Check out some of these clips and if you like it, buy the book and DVD. Thanks Tom Furman for showing me this stuff.






BJJ training has been extremely interesting. Bill and I have begun every open mat with 20 - 30 minutes of drilling the berimbolo and the berimbolo pass. It is everything that I need to be doing, but haven't been. It is an athletic movement, but it also exposes a lot of incorrect habits and brings to light many deficiencies in core stability and thoracic and cervical flexibility. It is a slow process, but we are definitely better than we were when we started. I have seen a dramatic increase in the intensity in which we roll and spar. It is truly a curious phenomenon, but our rolling has turned into almost all out wars. My goal is to make us that guy that nobody wants to roll with ;-)! My cardio has definitely improved. I have been doing a lot of combat with allergies this week and getting a sweat has really helped my breathing.

On a sadder note, the academy had to say goodbye to a member due to poor fit. It was a very dramatic series of events and this is the first time that I have seen it happen in my martial arts career. I will miss him and miss training with him.

I guess the theme for this month is transition.

Finally, in personal news, I have secured a new job! I will be providing and running counseling services at Blackburn College. It has been 9 years since I have been in higher education and now I am excited to return to the opportunity of a lifetime. I might even be able to eventually start up a bjj club there.  and next I am saying goodbye to my current clients and start my new gig on the 16th of this month.

Well, that's all for now. Take care of yourself and the ones you love.

Oss.

No comments:

Post a Comment